Food Combining & Fruit
"Fruits and Food Combining"
There is a common question I get. It has to do with fruits.
Question—is it ok to mix fruit or vegetables with a protein shake? Given that fruit shouldn't be mixed with protein, I was wondering if blending a shake would be ok?
Ok Ill give you the technical answer and the real life answer.
There are alkalizing fruits and acidifying fruits. Alkalizing fruits are the ones we tend to think of as vegetables (tomatoes and avocados)
Fruits that we love to eat has more than one form of sugar. One of those forms are fructose. Fructose, is not helpful for weight loss. I would avoid it.
Fruit also ferments very easily.
As such, when one consumes it, it is best done as the first meal of the day before any other meal. And limit it to one cup. When they are combined with other foods they will ferment in the digestive tract.
Some people will feel a bloating or slower digestion or tiredness when combining fruits.
Fructose also does not raise insulin so your muscles will not get the benefits of the carbohydrate content. Fructose is routed directly to the liver first. If fructose is not metabolized to glucose and used up it literally turns to alcohol. That is why a diet high in fructose develop all the diseases that alcoholics get.
So that is why combining fruits with proteins or starches slows digestion and assimilation.
This also applies to whey protein or liquid protein drinks. The dietary protein we eat are molecules that take more work to unfold in the stomach and they are further broken down to amino acids that go into the blood to be used.
Sometimes it just helps to have fruit to add taste and variety. They are colorful and make things less dull. Also some people experience no adverse effects.
So here is what I suggest for the real world application if you want to use fruits.
- Keep it in moderation. Use small portions.
- Chose fruits that are brightly colored. The bright colored fruits are high in antioxidant potential.
- Keep it organic. Some of the high antioxidant fruits that we love to eat are highly perishable so they are laden with more pesticides. Strawberries are case in point. They actually have one of the highest accumulations of chemicals.
- If you mix fruits with your meal, use them as decoration. Color and brighten your meal with them rather than making the fruit the meal. This can keep them in smaller portions.
- Use hydrochloric acid. The people that do worst when combining fruit has low hydrochloric acid. If you mix fruit with other foods, use a hydrochloric acid supplement like beatine after your meal.
- Fiber supplementation. Lastly, we should all be using a fiber supplement anyway.
If you are interested in coaching for fitness, or weight loss you can contact me HERE ...
The world of weight loss has become incredibly complex and confusing for people. I have simplified it and revealed hidden sources of weight gain and a ten step program to reverse the age of your metabolism and turn it into a lean, fit and healthy metabolism. If you are interested check out Metabolism Makeover.
Are you a member of Facebook?
Share this with someone you care about! Click in the link below and you can chose who on Facebook you want to share it with.
You can also become a Metabolism Makeover fan!
Pay It Forward!
Forward this as an Email this to someone you care about.